Nutritional Optimisation is the process of optimising your food choices to align with your goals and by giving your body what it needs.
Unfortunately, most “nutritional advice” revolves around avoiding “bad foods” and other “bad things” in the food we eat (e.g. calories, fat, saturated fat, carbs, cholesterol, plants, animal, etc.).
Even in the midst of the current pandemic, the official “nutritional advice” largely about the things you should avoid rather than which foods will actually provide the nutrients you need to support healthy immune function and manage your risk.
Is it any wonder so many of us find nutrition complex and are left confused, knowing what is safe to eat?
Rather than continuing to argue ‘bad foods’, we found that once you give your body what it needs, everything else falls into place.
Our analysis of six hundred thousand days of data from Optimisers shows that once ew get the nutrients we need from the food we eat, our cravings subside. You are no longer a slave to your appetite!
Sadly, our modern food system is optimised to maximise profit, not nutrition or health.
After four years of analysis of data from free-living people, we have developed an intimate understanding of how we can engineer our food choices to manage your appetite and help you achieve your goals.
Simply adopting a named diet (e.g. keto, low carb, paleo, plant-based, carnivore) doesn’t guarantee that you will get the nutrients you need. We can still create a nutrient-dense or nutrient-poor diet while still strictly conforming to these popular dietary templates. In fact, our recipe analysis found that many of the recipes from some of the most popular named diets provided the worst level of nutrition.
Popular fad diets can be helpful if they help you eliminate nutrient-poor hyperpalatable processed foods. However, we tend to see the best results when we prioritise the foods and meals that contain enough of all the essential nutrients.
The nutrients YOU need to prioritise will depend on your current diet, any symptoms you may have and your goals. By progressively adding foods and meals that contain more of these nutrients, you can quickly achieve a balanced diet at a micronutrient level.
But beyond micronutrients, we can quantitatively optimise your diet to help you eat more or less, depending on your goals. Our analysis has shown again and again that the most crucial factor in satiety (i.e. your tendency to feel full with fewer calories) is the balance of energy from protein vs energy from fat+carb.
Consuming less easy energy from processed carbs and fat (the signature for modern junk food) correlates with a lower overall energy intake.
This reduction in easy energy from fat and carbs leads to an increase in the percentage of energy from protein, which also aligns with greater satiety.
A higher nutrient density also tends to align with greater satiety and better appetite control while also giving your body what it needs to thrive.
Nutritional Optimisation is about progress rather than perfection. But to move forward, you need to define your goal. Quantitatively optimising your diet will help you to move forward from where you currently are towards where you want to be.
If you are not getting the results you want, you can dial things in a little more. Then, once you get the results you want, you can relax and enjoy healthy maintenance.
To help you on your journey of Nutritional Optimisation, we have been hard at work developing a number of resources that may be of interest:
- Popular optimised food lists (free) – the most popular foods optimised for a range of goals and conditions.
- Nutritional Optimisation Kickstart Guide (free) – to help you start your journey of Nutritional Optimisation.
- Nutritional Optimisation Program – designed for those who don’t want to track their food to fine-tune your habits and identify their Personalised Optimal 30/30 food sand meals.
- 6 Week Live Nutritional Optimisation Masterclass – designed for those people who are willing to track their food and really leverage data to optimise their diet.
- Nutrient Optimiser – our flagship program that will guide you through the process of Nutritional Optimisation.
- Nutrient-Dense Recipes for YOUR goal – we have developed a series of 22 recipe books to show what nutrient density looks like in practice. These recipe books also include links to the top 150 recipes, complete with detailed nutritional analysis, that will align with your goals. They are the perfect place to start your and enjoy the benefits of nutritional optimisation.