Asparagus is one of the most nutrient-dense foods available on a calorie for calorie basis, so this simple soup provides a hefty nutritional punch with very few calories. With a lower energy density, soups can be filling while still provide very little energy.
The asparagus in this recipe will provide heaps of vitamins A, B1, B2, C, E and K1, along with copper, choline, folate, manganese, potassium, selenium and zinc. At the same time, the onion fills in a range of other vitamins and minerals.
One serve provides 33 calories, 2 g protein, 0.2 g fat, 4.7 g net carbs and P:E = 0.5.
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
- One large onion
- Three cloves of garlic
- 340 g (12 oz) asparagus
- 3 cups of water
- 1.5 tsp Vegetable broth
- 1 tsp Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut tips from several asparagus 1 1/2 inches from the top and halve tips lengthwise if thick. Reserve for garnish.
- Cut stalks and all remaining asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Spray olive oil cooking spray in a 4-quart heavy pot and cook onion and garlic over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened. Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add 4 cups of vegetable broth and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While soup simmers, cook reserved asparagus tips in boiling salted water until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes, then drain.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender until smooth, transferring to a bowl (use caution when blending hot liquids), and return to pan.
- Garnish with asparagus tips, add a squeeze of lemon juice and a spoonful of nonfat greek yogurt, if desired.
This recipe is featured in the following recipe books optimised for nutrient density. Follow the links below to find more nutrient-dense recipes optimised for YOUR goal.
Take your nutrition to the next level with Nutrient Optimiser and get your free food list and more recipes based on your goals. Nutrient Optimiser is designed to be the quickest and easiest way to optimise your nutrition at the micronutrient level.
Our recipe database contains over five hundred recipes to ensure you will get the nutrition you need to thrive. When you track your current diet for a few days, Nutrient Optimiser will identify foods that are missing macro and micronutrients in your diet.