This stuffed peppers casserole recipe will comfort and warm you from the inside out. With succulent beef and tangy mozzarella, it will provide you with all the joy of your classic casserole while keeping your satiety high.
Half the energy comes from beef, which provides plenty of protein, B vitamins, iron, phosphorus, and zinc. Meanwhile, the cheese ups your calcium intake, while the tomato and peppers add vitamin C and potassium.
Yields: 4 servings
- 16 oz (454 grams) lean ground beef, browned
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 tsp (8.4 grams) garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups green peppers, chopped
- 1 14.5 oz (411 grams) can of Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup (225 grams) of marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup cauliflower rice
- 1 tbsp (12.6 grams) coconut aminos
- 1/2 tsp (2.8 grams) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1.4 grams) pepper
- 1 cup (225 grams) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, adding your ground beef, onion, and garlic. Cook until browned.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the mozzarella cheese. Stir to combine, and transfer the mixture to a casserole baking dish.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top, and bake for 5 to 10 more minutes or until the cheese melts. Divide into four equal servings.
- If freezing for later, do not add the mozzarella cheese until you are about to bake it.
- To thaw, place it in the refrigerator overnight and bake it at 350 degrees for about 35 to 40 minutes, covered with foil.
- Add cheese and bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Cheryl Johnson