This recipe is inspired by the Ketogains Pre Workout Coffee. You can use it before heading to the gym as a satiating snack to boost your coffee intake.
- The caffeine provides a boost of focus for the workout.
- The protein powder provides amino acids for muscle repair when your body needs them at the end of the workout.
- If you are trying to restrict calories then having something in your stomach when you go to the gym will relieve any hunger and help you to feel a bit more energised.
- Creatine helps muscle growth as well as mental acuity.
- Athletes burn through sodium, so the extra salt prevents cramping and performance issues due to low electrolytes. Using Lite Salt provides some extra potassium along with the sodium.
- The MCT oil (optional) provides a burst of available energy while still keeping carbs low. No need to add MCT if your goal is weight loss and you are not about to do some strenuous activity.
Each of the ingredients is optional to an extent based on your goals. If you want to keep it simple you can just throw a scoop of protein powder in your coffee before you head to the gym.
- One shot of coffee
- One scoop of plain protein powder
- 1-2 of Himalayan Salt or Lite Salt
- Hot water
- 3 – 5g creatine (optional)
- 5 – 15g MCT oil or MCT powder (optional)
- Optional calorie-free sweetener such as liquid stevia or glycine.
- Pour coffee shot
- Add hot water.
- Add a scoop of protein powder and other ingredients.
- Add sweetener (optional).
- Mix thoroughly. You may need to blend to get a smooth consistency.
One 140 calorie serving of this recipe provides 30 g of protein, 15 g of fat and 1 g of net carbs.
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
Click the links to see the highest-ranking recipes for each goal.