This simple fritter recipe scores high in nutrient density and versatility.
Most of the energy comes from the linseeds that provide vitamin B1, copper, magnesium, manganese, and potassium.
In addition, the spinach contributes folate and vitamin K, while the carrot boosts vitamin A and C, and the zucchini lifts the potassium.
One serve provides 230 calories, 9 g protein, 16 g fat, 6 g of net carbs and P:E = 0.4.
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
- 4 tbsp ground linseeds/flaxseeds
- 180 mL water
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/4 a small onion, finely diced
- 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- 80 g spinach
- 10 g sprouts (optional)
- Start by making a vegan egg. Combine the ground linseeds and water and let sit for 15 minutes minimum or overnight.
- In a bowl, combine the zucchini, carrots, onion, salt, pepper and chilli.
- Add in the vegan egg and stir well.
- Heat a large fry pan on medium heat and melt the coconut oil.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the mixture onto a bed of spinach, flattening with a spatula.
- Cook slowly until the underside is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Then, flip and cook on the other side, about 1 – 2 minutes longer.
- Plate up the spinach and place the fritters on top serve with some sprouts if using.