This is a fun way to spice up your poached eggs to start your day off right with some garlic and tomato.
Eggs, as always, provide a ton of bioavailable protein (35% protein for a solid level of satiety), along with a healthy helping of choline, vitamins B2, B5 and A, folate, iron and selenium.
Tomato, the most popular fruit in the world, adds vitamins B1, B6, A, C and potassium, while the garlic and basil round out the flavour profile.
One serve provides 195 calories, 13 g protein, 12 g fat and 5 g of net carbs
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 can (420 g or 15 oz) tinned or finely chopped tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- A few fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Heat a large frying pan to medium heat. Add the olive oil and crushed garlic. Stir and fry, watch closely so the garlic does not burn. fry until golden.
- Add the tin of tomatoes and stir, turn down the heat to low and simmer for 8″”10 minutes.
- Make four wells in the tomato sauce and add one egg to each well. If you have a lid for the frying pan then place the lid on, this will help cook the eggs from the top (f not you may just have to cook a bit longer). Cook until the whites are opaque.
- Sprinkle over the fresh basil and serve.
This recipe is featured in the following recipe books optimised for nutrient density. Follow the links below to find more nutrient-dense recipes optimised for YOUR goal.
- low carb & blood sugar
- blood sugar & fat loss
- nutritional keto
If you want to take your nutrition to the next level, we’d love you to check out Nutrient Optimiser to get your free food list and more recipes optimised for your goals. We have designed Nutrient Optimiser to be the quickest and easiest way to optimise your nutrition at the micronutrient level.
You can select from our database of five hundred recipes to plan your meals for the coming week to ensure you will get the nutrients you need to thrive. Then, if you are able to track your current diet for a few days, Nutrient Optimiser will identify the foods and meals that you need to fill your macro and micronutrient gaps.