This is a fun way to spice up your poached eggs to start your day off right with some garlic and tomato.
Tomato, the most popular fruit in the world, adds vitamins B1, B6, A, C and potassium, while the garlic and basil round out the flavour profile.
One serve provides 195 calories, 13 g protein, 12 g fat, 5 g of net carbs and P:E = 0.7.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 can (420 g or 15 oz) tinned or finely chopped tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- A few fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Heat a large frying pan to medium heat. Add the olive oil and crushed garlic. Stir and fry. Watch closely so the garlic does not burn. fry until golden.
- Add the tin of tomatoes and stir. Turn down the heat to low and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Make four wells in the tomato sauce and add one egg to each well. If you have a lid for the frying pan, then place the lid on. This will help cook the eggs from the top (if not, you may just have to cook a bit longer). Cook until the whites are opaque.
- Sprinkle over the fresh basil and serve.