The burrito bowl is a lunch staple for many due to its versatility. They are easy to make and taste amazing.
This spicy is meal ideal as a quick low carb meal, especially if you’re keeping an eye on your blood sugars.
The ground beef provides plenty of protein along with zinc, phosphorus, selenium, choline and B12 while the spinach fills in the vitamin A, K and folate.
The guacamole, sour cream and cheese provide extra energy that will keep you going all day and ensure stable blood sugars.
One serve provides 700 calories, 45 g protein, 45 g fat and 9 g of net carbs
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
- 200 g spicy ground meat (see next page for recipe)
- 30 g spinach, washed
- 100 g tomato, diced
- 10 g coriander/cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 10 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp guacamole (see next page for recipe)
- Salt, pepper and chilli sauce (optional)
- 600 g (21 oz) ground beef (pork or lamb)
- 4 spring onions, white and green, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red chilli (seeds removed), finely chopped
- 2 tsp lemongrass powder
- 2 limes – juice and zest
- 4 tsp fish sauce
- 4 tbsp tamari sauce
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon (or lime), juice and zest
- 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper
- Add spicy meat, spinach, tomato and grated cheese to a bowl.
- Top with guacamole, sour cream and cilantro.
- Add chilli sauce if you like it spicy.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on high heat.
- Add the meat and cook it in its own fat, stirring with a wooden spoon, using the spoon to break up the meat.
- Once the meat is browned add in the spring onion, garlic, chilli, lemongrass powder and stir to combine.
- Add in the lime zest, lime juice, fish sauce and tamari sauce, stir to combine.
- If using pork, take extra care to ensure it is fully cooked.
- Cut avocado in half and twist out the stone.
- Use a spoon to scoop out all the flesh into a bowl.
- Add crushed garlic, lemon zest (optional) and juice.
- Mash with a fork and add salt and pepper to taste.
Find more recipes to suit your goal.
If you want to take your nutrition to the next level, we’d love you to check out Nutrient Optimiser to get your free food list and more recipes optimised for your goals. We have designed Nutrient Optimiser to be the quickest and easiest way to optimise your nutrition at the micronutrient level.
You can select from our database of five hundred recipes to plan your meals for the coming week to ensure you will get the nutrients you need to thrive. Then, if you are able to track your current diet for a few days, Nutrient Optimiser will identify the foods and meals that you need to fill your macro and micronutrient gaps.