Perhaps even more than weight loss, the transition women experience as they transition through middle age is one of the hottest topics in our Data-Driven Fasting Facebook Group.
Not only do blood sugars, cravings and insulin sensitivity change across the month, but the changes that occur during menopause can make maintaining a healthy weight and vitality more challenging.
Karen Martel, the host of the Other Side of Weight Loss Podcast, is a powerhouse of knowledge, experience, and passion for these complex issues.
It was an honour to talk to her about the common questions that come up around the intersection of fasting, nutrition and optimising hormonal balance, including:
- What is ‘hormonal weight loss resistance’? How much do hormones affect weight and vice versa?
- What issues and risks do you see with extreme dietary approaches like fasting, keto, carnivore etc.?
- When does the ‘more is better’ approach go wrong?
- Why do we tend to see more elevated blood glucose leading up to that time of the month?
- When can carb cycling be beneficial?
- Why have hormones become such a big issue? What’s changed in our environment?
- What should they be doing first before diving down the rabbit hole of hormonal manipulation?
- What testing can people do to understand their hormonal status?
- When should someone consider adding bioidentical hormones?
- What are the risks and benefits of adding exogenous hormones?
- Are there any unique considerations for women who have had a hysterectomy?
- What do the guys need to know about maintaining good hormonal status?
- What do you do to manage a healthy hormonal status these days?
I also really enjoyed being a part of Karen’s podcast. You can check it out here.
Subscribe and listen at: