Semifreddo is a decadent Italian ice cream dessert. But unlike shop-bought ice cream, it is made from real eggs, real cream and real vanilla. The eggs provide choline and vitamin A while keeping the fat high.
One serve provides 280 calories, 23 g protein, 6 g fat and 24 g of net carbs
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
- 4 large eggs, separated, pasteurised
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar or apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup powdered erythritol or xylitol
- 300 mL heavy whipping cream or for dairy-free option use chilled coconut cream (Google ‘how to whip coconut cream’ for directions)
- 1 tsp seeds from a vanilla pod (or sugar-free vanilla essence, if you prefer)
- Place sweetener in a food processor and grind until powdered. Set aside for later.
- Use three bowls, two large and one small.
- Separate the egg whites in the big bowl and the yolks in the small bowl. The third is for beating the cream.
- Start whisking egg whites and add the cream of tartar. As egg whites thicken, slowly add the powdered sweetener. Whisk until they form stiff peaks.
- In a third bowl, whisk the cream until soft peaks form. Use a fork to mix the egg yolks with the vanilla seeds (or vanilla essence).
- Slowly fold the whisked egg whites into the whipped cream. Then add the egg yolk mixture and gently fold in using a spatula until well combined.
- Place mixture in a loaf pan or a freezer-friendly container and freeze for at least 4 hours before you plan to eat. Serve with topping of choice.
- Note: To pasteurise eggs at home, pour enough water in a pot to cover the eggs. Heat to about 60°C/140°F.
- Using a spoon, slowly place the eggs into the pot. Keep the eggs in the water for about 3 minutes. Let the eggs cool before using.
Find more recipes to suit your goal.
If you want to take your nutrition to the next level, we’d love you to check out Nutrient Optimiser to get your free food list and more recipes optimised for your goals. We have designed Nutrient Optimiser to be the quickest and easiest way to optimise your nutrition at the micronutrient level.
You can select from our database of five hundred recipes to plan your meals for the coming week to ensure you will get the nutrients you need to thrive. Then, if you are able to track your current diet for a few days, Nutrient Optimiser will identify the foods and meals that you need to fill your macro and micronutrient gaps.