Semifreddo is a decadent Italian ice cream dessert. But unlike shop-bought ice cream, it is made from real eggs, real cream and real vanilla. The eggs provide choline and vitamin A while keeping the fat high.
One serve provides 280 calories, 23 g protein, 6 g fat and 24 g of net carbs
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
- 4 large eggs, separated, pasteurised
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar or apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup powdered erythritol or xylitol
- 300 mL heavy whipping cream or for dairy-free option use chilled coconut cream (Google ‘how to whip coconut cream’ for directions)
- 1 tsp seeds from a vanilla pod (or sugar-free vanilla essence, if you prefer)
- Place sweetener in a food processor and grind
- until powdered. Set aside for later.
- Use three bowls, two large and one small.
- Separate the egg whites in the big bowl and the yolks in the small bowl. The third is for beating the cream.
- Start whisking egg whites and add the cream of tartar. As egg whites thicken, slowly add the powdered sweetener. Whisk until they create stiff peaks.
- In a third bowl, whisk cream until soft peaks form. Use a fork to mix the egg yolks with the vanilla
- seeds (or vanilla essence).
- Slowly fold the whisked egg whites into the whipped cream. Then add the egg yolk mixture and gently
- fold in using a spatula until well combined.
- Place mixture in a loaf pan or a freezer-friendly container and freeze for at least 4 hours before you plan to eat. Serve with topping of choice.
- Note: To pasteurise eggs at home, pour enough water in a pot to cover the eggs. Heat to about 60°C/140°F.
- Using a spoon, slowly place the eggs into the pot. Keep the eggs in the water for about 3 minutes. Let the eggs cool before using.
Find more recipes to suit your goal.