Sushi is super tasty, but it’s often easy to overdo on energy with the mixture of carbs from rice and fat from mayo and oil.
This rice-less sushi provides all the nutritious (and tasty!) elements of the sushi you love with fewer carbs and fat.
Note: Vitamin D is typically absent in foods that are nutrient-dense, aside from fatty fish like mackerel, salmon, and tuna.
The cabbage adds manganese and vitamins C and K, while the avocado provides copper, folate, and energy in the form of monounsaturated fat. The nori is rich in fibre, vitamin A, B vitamins, selenium, iodine, sodium, and phosphorus.
One serve provides 320 calories, 25 g protein, 20 g fat, 4 g of net carbs and P:E = 1.1.
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
- 1 sheet of nori sushi seaweed
- 100g cabbage finely shredded
- 100 g raw salmon filet or tinned wild salmon
- Quarter an avocado, sliced
- Put the nori sheet down on a bamboo roller or paper towel. Spread the cabbage over the nori sheet, leaving about 3 cm of space at the top and bottom.
- Next layer the salmon and the avocado on top of the cabbage at one end of the roller.
- Roll sushi tightly using the bamboo roller or paper towel.
- Use a sharp knife to slice up the roll into 2 cm rounds.
- Serve with a dipping bowl of tamari sauce or coconut aminos, add pickled ginger, Wasabi, or spicy mayo to your liking.
This recipe is featured in the following recipe books optimised for nutrient density.
Follow the links below to find more nutrient-dense recipes optimised for YOUR goal.
- low carb & blood sugar
- blood sugar & fat loss
- nutritional keto
- therapeutic keto
- low carb vegetarian
- egg & dairy-free
- athletes & bulking
- cancer (weight loss & nutrient density)
- cancer (weight maintenance)
How Can I Calculate My Nutrient Intake?
If you’re interested in checking if you’re getting just enough dietary phosphorus, you can check your nutrient profile using our Free 7-Day Nutrient Clarity Challenge.
Level Up Your Nutrient Density
To help you level up your nutrient density, we’ve prepared a Nutritional Optimisation Starter Pack to ensure you are getting plenty of all the essential nutrients from the food you eat every day.
The free starter pack includes:
- Maximum Nutrient Density Food List
- Sample Maximum Nutrient Density Recipe Book
- Sample Maximum Nutrient Density Meal Plan.
To get started today, all you have to do is join our new Optimising Nutrition Group here.
Once you join, you will find the Nutritional Optimisation starter pack in the discovery section here.