Rhubarb is a super hack to boost your calcium intake, particularly if you don’t enjoy a lot of dairy.
Rhubarb is also a great way to get vitamin A, C and K1, manganese, potassium and copper and the raspberries (which are also red) add some sweetness.
This smoothie recipe is based on almond milk which provides tons of choline, vitamin D and E, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium and even more calcium.
This recipe uses almond milk also helps to keep calories low and maximise nutrient density, but you can use a different base (e.g. coconut water) and add other ingredients based on your nutritional goals and your taste.
If you make a batch of the rhubarb and raspberry mix you can add to your smoothies all week.
One serve provides 50 calories, 2 g protein, 3 g fat, 4 g of net carbs and P:E = 0.3.
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
- 120 g (4.2 oz) rhubarb, chopped
- 1 Tbsp raspberries, frozen
- 1 cup almond milk
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/360°F (bake).
- Place rhubarb and raspberries in a small baking tray, add a splash of water and cover with foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until tender. Let cool.
- In a blender add almond milk and the rhubarb-raspberry mixture.
- Blend well and serve.
This recipe is featured in the following recipe books optimised for nutrient density. Follow the links below to find more nutrient-dense recipes optimised for YOUR goal.
- high protein:energy ratio
- egg & dairy-free
- cancer (weight maintenance)
- cancer (weight gain)
How Can I Calculate My Nutrient Intake?
If you’re interested in checking if you’re getting just enough dietary phosphorus, you can check your nutrient profile using our Free 7-Day Nutrient Clarity Challenge.
Level Up Your Nutrient Density
To help you level up your nutrient density, we’ve prepared a Nutritional Optimisation Starter Pack to ensure you are getting plenty of all the essential nutrients from the food you eat every day.
The free starter pack includes:
- Maximum Nutrient Density Food List
- Sample Maximum Nutrient Density Recipe Book
- Sample Maximum Nutrient Density Meal Plan.
To get started today, all you have to do is join our new Optimising Nutrition Group here.
Once you join, you will find the Nutritional Optimisation starter pack in the discovery section here.