RD’s Type 1 Grit Facebook Group has been a Godsend, helping followers like my wife, Moni, and I, understand how to control blood sugars with nutrition. During our years on this journey, RD has become a great friend, inspiration, and mentor.
RD and I recently discussed my book, Big Fat Keto Lies, and the ways each lie can negatively impact people with type 1 diabetes.
It was heartening to dig deeper into the story of how RD’s response turned his son’s diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes into a victory for his family—one that has overflowed into the lives of many grateful beneficiaries. It is a fantastic story of how a father’s love for his son led him to discover that optimal nutrition plays an essential role in diabetes management, and how to make that discovery actionable.
- Keto Lie #1: ‘Optimal ketosis’ is a goal and the more ketones the better
- Keto Lie #2: You have to be ‘in ketosis’ to burn fat
- Keto Lie #3: You should eat more fat to burn more fat
- Keto Lie #4: Protein should be avoided because of gluconeogenesis
- Keto Lie #5: Fat is a ‘free food’ because it doesn’t elicit an insulin response
- Keto Lie #6: Food quality is not important, it’s all about insulin and avoiding carbs
- Keto Lie #7: Fasting for longer is better
- Keto Lie #8: Insulin toxicity is enemy #1
- Keto Lie #9: Calories don’t count
- Keto Lie #10: Stable blood sugars will lead to fat loss
- Keto Lie #11: You should ‘eat fat to satiety to lose body fat
- Keto Lie #12: If in doubt, keep calm and keto on
Subscribe to listen at:
To help us reach more people, please rate and review.
Follow RD Dikeman
Upcoming podcast guests
- Bronson Dant – Fitness 101: The Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Exercise
- Mike Julian – The Gurus’ Guru
- Dr Clark Connery – Metabolic Flexibility Deep Dive
- Dr Brian Mowl – ProFast Diet Secrets
- Bett Lucas – How to Finally Put Your Health First
- Lori Tilden Leeke – How to Use Your Glucose Meter as a Fuel Gauge
- Brian Sanders – Chasing Nutrient Density All Over the World
- Jane Getting – Intermittent Fasting 2.0 + Nutrient Density FTW!
- Kelli and Dan Buckley – Optimising Nutrition – The Results
- Karen Lerner-Mayrand – Preventing Nutritional Deficiencies on a Vegetarian Diet
- Dr Josephine Grace Rajo – The Anatomy of Data-Driven Fasting
- Craig Emmerich – The Future of Keto
- Diana Rogers – Regenerative Agriculture
- Cynthia Thurlow – Intermittent Fasting for Women
- Robb Wolf – Can Nutrient Density Save the World?
- Abby Lukach Q&A – Stacking All the Hacks for Breakthrough Results
- Ivan Gavranic – What it takes to get (and stay) Super Lean
- Ted Naiman and Cala Calabrese – Let’s Talk about Satiety
- Melanie Avalon – The best (and worst) of biohacking
- Carol Dent – 42 lbs down with Data-Driven Fasting and Nutrient Density
- Gin Stephens – On Leaving Facebook and the Future of Intermittent Fasting
- Belinda Fettke – The origins of our nutritional guidelines
- Sidi Riza – 20kg in 5 months with DDF and the Masterclass
- Professors David Raubenheimer, Professor Stephen Simpson and Dr Ted Naiman – Protein & Nutrient Leverage Leverage
- Dr Andreas Eenfeldt – THE Diet Doctor
- Karen Thomson – Sugar-Free Data-Driven Fasting