This mashed cauliflower recipe is the perfect low carb alternative for mashed potato. The base recipe shown here is super simple, with only three ingredients, but you can add egg yolk, nutritional yeast and a knob of butter if you wish for extra flavour and texture.
The humble cauliflower packs a wide range of nutrients, including, vitamins B5, B6, C and K!, along with choline, folate, manganese, phosphorus and potassium while the milk or oil rounded out the texture for a tasty snack or side.
This recipe provides 615 calories, 30 g protein, 34 g fat and 30 g net carbs
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup almond milk or preferred milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Steam the cauliflower in either a microwave or over a pot.
- Use a microwave proof container with a lid. Add the cauliflower and 1/4 cup of water. Place the lid on and cook on high for 8–10 minutes.
- Use a steaming basket over a pot of boiling water. Add the cauliflower to the basket. Place the lid on and steam for 8–10 minutes.
- To test if soft enough, poke the stalk with a knife. It should be very tender, drain the water.
- Place in a blender or food processor with the milk and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve with your favourite protein source and more veggies.
This recipe is featured in the following recipe books optimised for nutrient density. Follow the links below to find more nutrient-dense recipes optimised for YOUR goal.
If you want to take your nutrition to the next level, we’d love you to check out Nutrient Optimiser to get your free food list and more recipes optimised for your goals. We have designed Nutrient Optimiser to be the quickest and easiest way to optimise your nutrition at the micronutrient level.
You can select from our database of five hundred recipes to plan your meals for the coming week to ensure you will get the nutrients you need to thrive. Then, if you are able to track your current diet for a few days, Nutrient Optimiser will identify the foods and meals that you need to fill your macro and micronutrient gaps.