This mashed cauliflower recipe is the perfect low-carb alternative for mashed potato. The base recipe shown here is super simple, with only three ingredients, but you can add egg yolk, nutritional yeast and a knob of butter if you wish for extra flavour and texture.
The humble cauliflower packs a wide range of nutrients, including vitamins B5, B6, C and K1, along with choline, folate, manganese, phosphorus and potassium, while the milk or oil rounds out the texture for a tasty snack or side.
One serving provides 153 calories, 7 g protein, 9 g fat, 7 g net carbs and P:E = 0.7.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup almond milk or preferred milk (use bone broth for AIP)
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Steam the cauliflower in either a microwave or over a pot.
- Use a microwave-proof container with a lid. Add the cauliflower and 1/4 cup of water. Place the lid on and cook on high for 8–10 minutes.
- Use a steaming basket over a pot of boiling water. Add the cauliflower to the basket. Place the lid on and steam for 8–10 minutes.
- To test if soft enough, poke the stalk with a knife. It should be very tender. Drain the water.
- Place in a blender or food processor with the milk and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve with your favourite protein source and more veggies.