Use this recipe to create low carb waffles or pancakes as an alternative to the high carb flour-based alternatives.
With 85% of their calories from fat, these are ideal for growing and active kids with Type 1 Diabetes, anyone who requires a therapeutic ketogenic diet or an adult who needs plenty of energy to support an active lifestyle.
The macadamia nuts provide half of the energy with minimal carbs along with vitamin B1, copper, iron and manganese. The egg binds the mixture together and adds vitamins B2 and B3, choline and selenium.
One serve provides 116 calories, 3 g protein, 11 g fat, 1 g of net carbs and P:E = 0.2.
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
- 42 g macadamia nuts, blended to make a nut butter
- 2 eggs (88 g)
- 16 g coconut oil
- A few drops of stevia
- A sprinkle of cinnamon
- Pre-heat a waffle iron or non-stick frying pan to a low heat.
- Place all the ingredients (except the cinnamon) into a blender and blend to combine.
- Pour the batter into a waffle iron, filling about ¾ of the way full. Cook until the steam begins to slow down.
- For pancakes, make small pancakes by using a tablespoon to pour the batter onto the frying pan. Cook the first side until the edges begin to look golden, flip and cook the second side until cooked through.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve immediately.
This recipe is featured in the following recipe books optimised for nutrient density. Follow the links below to find more nutrient-dense recipes optimised for YOUR goal.
If you want to take your nutrition to the next level, we’d love you to check out Nutrient Optimiser to get your free food list and more recipes optimised for your goals. We have designed Nutrient Optimiser to be the quickest and easiest way to optimise your nutrition at the micronutrient level.
You can select from our database of five hundred recipes to plan your meals for the coming week to ensure you will get the nutrients you need to thrive. Then, if you are able to track your current diet for a few days, Nutrient Optimiser will identify the foods and meals that you need to fill your macro and micronutrient gaps.