Liver is an excellent source of B vitamins, iron, phosphorus, selenium, zinc, vitamin A, and choline, boosted by the superfood eggs in this recipe. Many people find they do better eating fewer plant-based foods, particularly if they have digestive issues.
But not even the most nutrient-dense animal proteins provide high levels of vital nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin K1, magnesium and potassium. So, experiment to find the ideal balance of plant and animal-based foods to optimize your nutritional goals.
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 30 g bacon (1 rasher approx.), cut into small bits
- 100 g liver, rinsed, sinew removed
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 large eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Sprinkle of chilli flakes (optional)
- 5g chopped parsley or basil (optional)
- Heat a frypan to medium heat.
- Add bacon, onions and garlic, cook for a few minutes until soft, push them to the side.
- Add liver and cook for a few minutes until brown then turn and cook the other side for a few minutes.
- Add tomato paste and stir until onions and liver are coated.
- Make wells for the eggs and crack eggs into the wells, place lid on the pan and cook until the whites are cooked. If you like cooked yolks, then cook longer.
- Sprinkle with chilli if using and chopped herbs.