Enjoy lamb meatballs with spiralised zucchini noodles (aka zoodles) without worrying about carby pasta for a delicious and nutritious, light and tasty spring meal.
The lamb provides the majority of the calories in this meal as well as protein, zinc, choline, B12 and phosphorus.
Tomato boosts potassium, vitamin C and B1. Kale and zucchini fill in some copper, vitamin K, vitamin A and folate to provide a balanced micro profile.
One serve provides 490 calories, 38 g protein, 31 g fat, 8 g of net carbs and P:E = 1.0.
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
- Serves 4
- Lamb meatballs (see recipe next page)
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 100 g zucchini, spiralised
- 30 g baby kale or spinach, washed
- 10 g parsley, chopped
- 600 g ground meat (e.g. lamb, beef, kangaroo, venison, pork, chicken or a mixture of these meats)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp favourite dried herbs (rosemary, basil, parsley)
- Heat a large frypan to medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil and crushed garlic and stir until lightly golden, approx 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and turn down the heat to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring when needed. Turn off the heat and let sit while you cook the meatballs.
- Heat another frypan to medium heat. Add meatballs in batches, cooking them in their own fat, turning every few minutes, so they brown all over.
- Once all sides are brown, place the meatballs in the frypan with the sauce.
- Place lid on the pan and let rest till you are ready to eat (the meatballs will keep cooking in the sauce and when you re-heat them).
- Place the spiralised zucchini and greens on a plate and top with re-heated meatballs and sauce.
- To make the meatballs put the ground meat of choice in a bowl.
- Heat a small fry pan to medium heat, spray the pan with olive oil or use a tiny bit of coconut oil.
- Add diced onions and crushed garlic to the pan and lightly cook till soft. Turn off the heat.
- Add onions to the ground meat.
- Add salt, pepper, herbs and tomato paste.
- Use your hands to mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Roll into even balls about 35 g each (makes 4 balls per serve).
- Cook as per instructions above or freeze for another time.
Note: Ensure pork and chicken are cooked thoroughly.