Ketogains’ founder Luis Villasenor created this protein and collagen bomb as a low-carb treat ideal for a Protein Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF) or joint and skin support.
Don’t let its low calories fool you: it makes for a high-satiety dessert or snack that will keep you full for ages. It also has an extremely high protein-to-energy ratio, which helps to prevent muscle loss even in a large calorie deficit.
The egg whites and protein powder are sources of bioavailable protein, vitamin B2, and selenium. In addition, the gelatine and collagen add ample amounts of the amino acid glycine. Glycine is an essential amino acid that is excellent for joint health, detoxification, and sleep.
To add even more to this ‘healthified’ version of flan, you can top it with Ceylon cinnamon, a potent anti-inflammatory, or mineral-rich cacao nibs to add copper, magnesium, and polyphenols.
This recipe provides 290 calories, 55 g protein, 5 g fat, 4 g of net carbs and P:E = 6.6.
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
- 500 g (17.6 oz) egg whites and one whole egg (optional)
- 25 g (1 oz) whey protein powder (favourite flavour)
- 25 g (1 oz) unflavoured gelatin
- 10 g (0.35 oz) collagen (unflavoured or same as whey)
- 120 mL unsweetened almond milk (optional)
- Salt and stevia
- Calorie-free syrup (optional)
- Place egg whites in a glass container in the microwave for 5 minutes (1 min per 100 g egg whites). You don’t want to “cook” the whites but rather have them almost cooked. If you find that the egg white is cooking in clumps, you can try turning down the power on your microwave to medium rather than high.
- Use a mixer to “foam” the whites.
- Add other ingredients.
- Add salt or stevia to your preferred taste.
- Place in the fridge and wait until it goes semi-solid (like gelatin or jelly).
Thermomix ProTip: If you have a Thermomix, you can microwave the egg whites on 60% power for 6 minutes and then put the partially cooked whites, along with all the other ingredients, in the Thermomix on speed 5 for about 40 seconds.
- Serve with syrup, cocoa or cinnamon.