This protein and collagen bomb created by Ketogains‘ Luis Villasenor is ideal for a Protein Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF) or joint/skin recovery. It makes for a high satiety dessert or snack that will keep you very full while keeping calories low. It has an extremely high protein to energy ratio that will prevent muscle loss, especially in a large calorie deficit.
The egg whites and protein powder provide a bioavailable protein along with B2 and selenium. The gelatin and collagen add glycine, which is great for joint health and sleep.
This recipe provides 290 calories, 55 g protein, 5 g fat and 4 g of net carbs.
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
- 500 g egg whites
- 1 whole egg (optional)
- 25 g whey protein powder (favourite flavour)
- 25 g unflavoured gelatin
- 10 g collagen (unflavoured or same as whey)
- 120 mL unsweetened almond milk (optional)
- Calorie-free syrup (optional)
- Salt and stevia
- Place egg whites in a glass container in the microwave for 5 minutes (1 min per 100 g egg whites). You don’t want to “cook” the whites, but rather have them almost cooked. If you find that the egg white is cooking in clumps you can try turning down the power on your microwave to medium rather than high.
- Use a mixer to “foam” the whites.
- Add other ingredients.
- Add salt or stevia to preferred taste.
- Place in the fridge and wait until it goes semi-solid (like a gelatin or jelly).
- Serve with syrup, cocoa or cinnamon.
Find more recipes to suit your goal.
If you want to take your nutrition to the next level, we’d love you to check out Nutrient Optimiser to get your free food list and more recipes optimised for your goals. We have designed Nutrient Optimiser to be the quickest and easiest way to optimise your nutrition at the micronutrient level. You can select from our database of five hundred recipes to plan your meals for the coming week to ensure you will get the nutrients you need to thrive. Then, if you are able to track your current diet for a few days, Nutrient Optimiser will identify the foods and meals that you need to fill your macro and micronutrient gaps.