Low carb cauliflower sushi an excellent alternative for someone watching their blood sugars or pursuing a ketogenic lifestyle. It makes a healthy lunch for work or school or a snack just about any time.
Most of the energy comes from the cream cheese, which also provides some phosphorus and vitamin A.
The cauliflower and avocado boost the vitamin C, choline, B5, and folate, the salmon provides some omega 3 and copper, while the nori sheets provide a little iron, vitamin C and vitamin A.
One serving of this recipe provides 370 calories, 26 g of protein, 25 g of fat, 25 g of net carbs and P:E = 0.5.
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
Makes 3 serves
- 450 g cauliflower
- 170 g cream cheese, softened (or mayo if dairy-free)
- 1-2 tbsp rice vinegar (optional)
- 1 tbsp tamari sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 5 sheets nori
- 100 g cucumber, sliced into strips, discard the middle
- 1/2 medium avocado, sliced
- 140 g smoked salmon (or any seafood)
- Using a food processor, rice the cauliflower into rice-sized bits by pulsing. Do in small batches, make sure not to over-processes as it goes mushy.
- Put cauliflower in a microwave-proof bowl with a tiny splash of water and cook for 3 minutes, drain out any water.
- Add the cream cheese, rice vinegar (if using), mix well and put in the fridge to cool (overnight is even better).
- Put a nori sheet down on a bamboo roller, spread some of the cauliflower rice mixture over the nori sheet, leaving about 3/4 inches of space at the top. Make sure this is quite a thin layer.
- Roll sushi tightly using bamboo. You can see many videos on YouTube (like this one) if you aren’t sure. Slice up the roll into 2 cm rounds. Serve and enjoy! Feel free to pair with pickled ginger, wasabi, or a spicy mayo depending on your goals.
This recipe is featured in the following recipe books optimised for nutrient density. Follow the links below to find more nutrient-dense recipes optimised for YOUR goal.
If you want to take your nutrition to the next level, we’d love you to check out Nutrient Optimiser to get your free food list and more recipes optimised for your goals. We have designed Nutrient Optimiser to be the quickest and easiest way to optimise your nutrition at the micronutrient level.
You can select from our database of five hundred recipes to plan your meals for the coming week to ensure you will get the nutrients you need to thrive. Then, if you are able to track your current diet for a few days, Nutrient Optimiser will identify the foods and meals that you need to fill your macro and micronutrient gaps.