Green smoothies are dense sources of vitamins and minerals that are easy to absorb. However, they’re not always so tasty!
A green smoothie with added protein powder is a great way to get your micros in a flavorful way while also consuming more protein to increase satiety. This recipe was created by Ketogains’ Luis Villasenor, who has been using this same recipe for +10 years himself!
Protein powder supplies ample amounts of bioavailable protein and a complete profile of amino acids. The flavour may also make vegetables that are undesirable for some more palatable.
Many people are intolerant to milk, and whole milk is relatively energy-dense and easy to overconsume. For those reasons, this recipe uses almond milk. Feel free to use your favourite plant-based milk.
If you’re looking to switch up the nutrient profile, feel free to add in other low-carb green and leafy vegetables like kale, celery, parsley, or beet greens. Add your favourite flavours like cinnamon or matcha as finishing touches, and… voilà!
One serving provides 170 calories, 25 g protein, 5 g fat, 5 g of net carbs and P:E = 2.6.
- 100 g (3.5oz) spinach (fresh)
- 40 g (1.4 oz) cucumber
- 30 g (1 oz) protein powder
- 240 mL almond milk (unsweetened)
- Stevia or your preferred sweetener (to taste)
- Place ingredients in a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Add extra almond milk and/or water until you get desired consistency.
- Add cinnamon or matcha powder (optional).