This steak wrapped with bacon and smothered with creamy peppercorn sauce (steak au poivre) is quick and luxurious! Steak provides plenty of your daily protein requirement along with B vitamins, choline, selenium and zinc, while the broccoli fills in the folate, vitamins A, C and K1.
One serve provides 460 calories, 50 g protein, 25 g fat and 4 g of net carbs
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
- 4 beef medallions (filet)
- 4 slices bacon
- baking string to tie on bacon
- broccoli head, cut into florets with stems
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt & ground pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp green peppercorns
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup cream
- Preheat oven to 200°C/392°F.
- Season filets with salt and pepper and wrap each in a slice of bacon. Secure with baking string. Set aside.
- Toss the broccoli florets in olive oil and salt and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan to medium heat. lace filets in the pan and cook the first side for 3 minutes. Turn and brown the other side for another 3 minutes. Roll filets on sides to brown bacon.
- Place filets in the oven tray and place on the middle rack. Cook for 4 minutes for medium-rare, 8 minutes for well done, or until your liking.
- While the steaks are in the oven put the butter, peppercorns and mustard in a small frying pan on medium heat, let it bubble away so the alcohol burns off and it reduces by half. Turn the heat to low and add the cream. Stir until thickened, turn off the heat and put in a bowl so people can serve themselves.
- Remove kitchen twine and serve with roast broccoli.
This recipe is featured in the following recipe books optimised for nutrient density. Follow the links below to find more nutrient-dense recipes optimised for YOUR goal.
If you want to take your nutrition to the next level, we’d love you to check out Nutrient Optimiser to get your free food list and more recipes optimised for your goals. We have designed Nutrient Optimiser to be the quickest and easiest way to optimise your nutrition at the micronutrient level.
You can select from our database of five hundred recipes to plan your meals for the coming week to ensure you will get the nutrients you need to thrive. Then, if you are able to track your current diet for a few days, Nutrient Optimiser will identify the foods and meals that you need to fill your macro and micronutrient gaps.