Bacon-wrapped chicken livers make a perfect appetiser for anyone wanting to level up their nutrient density with a luscious bacon taste.
The liver is a great source of lean protein and vitamins A, B2, B5, B12, choline, folate, iron, phosphorus and selenium. Bacon fills in some additional potassium and B1.
Serve on a bed of lettuce or spinach to fill in the vitamins C, K, calcium, magnesium and potassium.
One serve provides 145 calories, 16 g protein, 8 g fat, 1 g of net carbs and P:E = 1.4.
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
Makes 12 servings
- 12 fresh chicken livers (260 g), halved
- 6 slices bacon or prosciutto (180 g), cut in half
- A handful of shredded lettuce
- Preheat grill.
- Wrap bacon or prosciutto around each piece and fasten with a toothpick.
- Place on a baking tray.
- Grill for 5 – 7 minutes, then turn pieces and cook for 5 – 7 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
- Serve on a bed of shredded lettuce.