Chicken drumsticks & slaw
This fun drumstick and slaw recipe is a great way to balance your protein with vitamins and minerals. The chicken keeps the protein to energy ratio high for a satisfying meal while adding phosphorus, B3, B5, B6 and choline. The slaw provides potassium, manganese, copper, calcium, vitamin A and folate. The sunflower seeds boost the magnesium and the parsley adds iron, vitamin K and vitamin C.
One serve provides 380 calories, 43 g protein, 17 g fat and 12 g of net carbs
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
- 2 medium (120 g approx.) chicken drumsticks
- 2 tbsp tamari sauce
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 100 g cabbage or Brussels sprouts, chopped finely
- 50 g radish, sliced or chopped
- 10 g parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/360°F.
- Place chicken on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn and bake a further 20 minutes.
- Pour on the tamari sauce and add the garlic, turn the chicken to coat in sauce and garlic.
- Turn up heat to 200°C/400° F (fan bake).
- Return chicken to oven for a further 5 minutes each side or until golden and crispy.
- In the meantime, chop all your vegetables and toss together in the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Find more recipes to suit your goal.