Camilla’s Offal Bourguignon
This recipe by Nutritional Optimisation Masterclass superstar Camilla Caton is one you can try when you’re ready to level up your nutrient density game and go all-in with organ meats to maximise your nutrient density.
Bourguignon is stew braised in red wine, typically flavoured with carrots, onions, garlic, and garnished with onions, mushrooms, and bacon. In the spirit of not letting anything go to waste, Camilla’s New Zealand twist on this traditional French dish uses on lamb liver, lungs, heart and testes, which provides heaps of lean protein along with bucket loads of vitamins A, C, B2, B5, B12, folate, copper, iron, selenium and zinc.
The other ingredients (including red wine, bacon, mushrooms, stock, carrots, parsley, mushrooms and stock) round out the flavour and nutrient profile of this robust and nutritious stew.
You can definitely skip your multivitamin if you have this for dinner!
One serve provides 565 calories, 62 g protein, 17 g fat and 22 g of net carbs
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
- 540 g (19.5 oz) lamb liver
- 360 g (12.7 oz) lamb lungs
- 130 g (4.6 oz) lamb heart
- 330 g (12.25 oz) lamb testes
- 200 g (7 oz) bacon
- 350 g (12.35 oz) onion, sliced
- 400 g (14 oz) carrots, chopped 2 cm pieces
- 500 g (17.5 oz) mushrooms, cut in half
- 2 cups pinot noir
- 170 g (6 oz) tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock
- 20 g (56 oz) parsley, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C/356°F (bake).
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan to medium heat. Add the offal, brown both sides.
- Place the offal and remaining ingredients in a large casserole dish. Bake for 3–4 hours. Check every hour and add water if it gets too thick.
This recipe is featured in the following recipe books optimised for nutrient density. Follow the links below to find more nutrient-dense recipes optimised for YOUR goal.
- fat loss
- maximum nutrient density
- blood sugar & fat loss
- high protein:energy ratio
- egg & dairy-free
- cancer (weight loss & nutrient density)
- cancer (weight maintenance)
If you want to take your nutrition to the next level, we’d love you to check out Nutrient Optimiser to get your free food list and more recipes optimised for your goals. We have designed Nutrient Optimiser to be the quickest and easiest way to optimise your nutrition at the micronutrient level.
You can select from our database of five hundred recipes to plan your meals for the coming week to ensure you will get the nutrients you need to thrive. Then, if you are able to track your current diet for a few days, Nutrient Optimiser will identify the foods and meals that you need to fill your macro and micronutrient gaps.