This aubergine gratin is a tasty “comfort food” that is also nutritious.
This dish provides plenty of B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, C, choline, copper, potassium and zinc.
One serve provides 280 calories, 23 g protein, 6 g fat and 24 g of net carbs
The Cronometer screengrab below shows the nutrients provided by 2000 calories of this recipe relative to the Optimal Nutrient Intakes.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 aubergine, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 15 g nutritional yeast or Parmesan cheese
- 15 g pine nuts
- A handful of basil leaves, chopped
- Pre-heat to 180°C/360°F.
- Place sliced aubergine on a baking tray and drizzle over 1 tbsp of olive oil, and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the aubergine is baking, heat a frypan to medium heat, add 1 tsp olive oil, onions and the garlic, sautée for a few minutes until soft.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add basil and then turn the heat down to a low simmer for a further 10 minutes until you have a sauce.
- Place a layer of aubergine on the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Pour half the sauce on then another layer of aubergine and finish with the rest of the sauce.
- Sprinkle with nutritional yeast or Parmesan.
- Sprinkle pine nuts.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
Find more recipes to suit your goal.