This recipe is from Carrie Brown’s Eat Smarter! Smoothies and Sides. While not particularly low carb due to the orange, it packs a solid amount of nutrients.
- 1 cup / 8 fl oz. unsweetened coconut
- milk ⅔ cup / 2 oz. / 55g powdered egg white
- 1 oz. / 30 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 oranges, take zest from one orange before peeling
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. orange essence
- 1 head Romaine lettuce
- Xylitol as needed to sweeten
- ½ tsp. guar gum
- Place ingredients in the blender in the order listed, except guar gum.
- Blend on high until completely smooth.
- Tap the guar gum through the hole in the blender lid while the blender is still running and blend for 5 seconds.
The micronutrient breakdown is shown below indicating that it does quite well in terms of vitamins, minerals and protein.
The table below shows the nutritional data per 500 calorie serving.
|net carbs||insulin load||carb insulin||fat||protein||fibre|